Ah first year University. Where the youth of today go to explore themselves, bust their asses 'round the clock, meet different people and generally walk around in an overloaded stupor for most of the year.
What an interesting and eye-opening experience this has been for me. I can for certain say that right now University just isn't 'what I'm looking for'. Writing essays for most of my assignments is just the most horrendously boring thing to me at this moment. I love sitting in lecture, I love researching and reading my texts but putting it all into a research paper I can do without. I don't even have the drive to just go and get it done for the sake of getting it done.
Now, as a student of Sociology, I have learned some definite facts that have helped contribute to my lack of drive. The main fact being close to 50% of University grads cannot find employment in their field. They don't graduate from the service industry into careers with their new found degrees. What the eff is that man? Someone pays upwards of $18,000-$20,000 for their education and they're still stuck in the service occupations but with the added exception of student debt? That makes my smiling earth frown.
What about the fact that obtaining a BA is quickly becoming like getting your high school diploma? Almost everyone has one. Soon we'll all be paying for grad school to just to have the competitive edge over other people in the job market. In the near future we might see the over-saturation of education in Western countries and my concern would be the impact on the quality of education the youth receives.
Quality over quantity.
I say I want to be able to have some definite skills that can obtain me a career once I'm finished a stint of post-secondary education. I don't want to take a shot in the dark and hope something works out. Knawm'sayin'?
Enter college. Another avenue of education I've dabbled in. I'll keep this short yet tout sweet. College work was just fine with me...most of the time. It was hands-on. I got to see the end results of my labour and I could feel satisfied. I was more motivated then than I am now. I'm also damn sure that if I fiddled around with InDesign long enough again I could put together a newspaper or magazine in no time. I learned things I could apply almost right away to a real-world situation. If only I had gone to college for something I had a passion for.
Heading back to college seems to be the best avenue for me right now. I can at least specialize in a specific applicable skill-set once I'm finished and finally catapult myself out of the dregs of the service industry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment